Don't get a puppy if you value your sanity!

I got my SO a pup for Valentine day. And now my life has become a misery.

I have to point out that I was honest from the start. I told SO that I love dogs but am grossed out by poop picking. So the deal was that he will do the poop picking while i do the grooming, cuddling, loving, food-giving aunt bit. Though SO has pitched in to do the poop picking it's me who has been driven nuts.

In the 5 days since she's been with us --she has bitten, scratched, chewed and peed inside. (though never pooped inside..coz of course that would make life difficult for SO whose job it is). She wails and barks when put inside her crate; eats and pees when put out of the crate; and has dug a hole in the neighbour's compost pile when I take her outside to play. My vocabulary has become limited to "No Bessie!" and my neighbours see me day in and day out as a wild eyed harridan with hair sticking out (she loves to chew my hair), dressed in a mangy coat and chewed up slippers (she loves chewing them too). I can't sleep in my bedroom coz she creates a ruckus in her crate when sees me go upstairs, can't work on the computer coz she wants to play by biting my hands and the laptop. I've got no work done in the past week and the scratches on my hands and ankles look like battle scars.

'NO' is not a word in this 4 month old's dictionary. I've frantically read up on puppy training tips online. I've tried all manners of 'short no, deep no', 'growling no', 'shaking it no' and 'holding the pup firmly to the ground while saying no'to show whose the alpha bitch in the house---but all to no avail! And to add insult to injury she listens to our guests, and even the SO but not to me! Grrrr!!!

I've finally been reduced to playing my meditation CDs loudly so that she can calm down and fall off to sleep listening to it. (I of course can't meditate anymore coz im staring at it constantly to see what she's upto).

She's still sooo chweet when she's asleep, or rolling over on her tummy, or begging for treats ..the rest of the time she is a monster! I might have to go AWOL for a week to a puppyless place or I might start barking! I'm writing this quickly as she is lying sleepily with her paws up in the air... undoubtedly planning the next round of attack.


I'm exhausted, sleepless, workless, mindless and feel worthless. And it took a puppy just 5 days to reduce me to this. I feel like venting my feelings with some agressive barking! Woof! Woof! Wooooooooooofff!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rahul Gandhi, I judge you!

India’s Slide Into Wonderland: Hindutva’s Theatre of the Absurd

Islam: A religion of Peace or Violence?